The mission of Braedius Medical is to develop solutions for visualization and assessment of the microcirculation to support physicians in their decision processes and to provide new tools to guide therapy.
In 2011 the founder of Braedius was first introduced to the notion of microcirculation and the microscopy cameras that had been developed between 1990 and 2010 . Although being an engineer, with a a life long career in the computer industry and a background in fine mechanics and manufacturing, he quickly became convinced of the following:
- The essential importance of the microcirculation as part of the hemodynamic system and its role in the development of disease.
- That better tools were required for the visualization of the processes in the capillaries and the behavior of the red blood cells.
In 2011 it was decided to develop a microscopy video camera using state of the art technology. The CytoCam Model I became available at the end of 2012.
It received CE certification and has a FDA listing.
Where we are today
Today the CytoCam is in use in more than 20 countries on all continents (except Antartica), and it has been tested from below sea level up to Everest Base Camp. It is being used in studies in many medical disciplines, in the ICU and during surgery.
However, it must be realized that the understanding of the behavior of the microcirculation is still not being used in a clinical setting. Developing methods which allow the use of microcirculation assessment in guiding therapy is the challenge ahead of us.
Where we want to be tomorrow
The experience gained over the past years is the foundation for a new phase which will be characterized by the following vision and strategy:
- Acquire and develop new, young internal engineering and scientific skills to accelerate innovation using new technologies.
- Work with both special clinical user groups and medical academia to transfer user requirements to product development.
- To identify the requirements of therapies where microcirculation assessment is complimentary to existing therapies and assists to better guide those.
- Develop a new generation of products meeting those requirements.